Sunday 14 April 2013

Y1 Final Major Project - Artist Research - Tracy Emin

In 1997 her work Everyone I Have Ever Slept With 1963–1995, a tent appliquéd with names, was shown at Charles Saatchi's Sensation exhibition held at the Royal Academy in London. The same year, she gained considerable media exposure when she appeared drunk and swearing on a live Channel 4 TV discussion.

In 1999, Emin had her first solo exhibition in the United States at Lehmann Maupin Gallery, entitled "Every Part of Me's Bleeding". Later that year, she was a Turner Prize nominee and exhibited My Bed — an installation, consisting of her own unmade dirty bed with used condoms and blood-stained underwear.

It may seem a bit strange that I have chosen to research Tracy Emin as an artist as well as her artwork due to its provocative nature and highly sexual content. But, I've given this artist a lot of thought over a few days or so and I've found that throughout her work she has been through a journey, a sexual journey. Through her use of time scale (Everyone I Have Ever Slept With 1963-1995) she displays the journey she has been on. Her other works display a journey that she has been on throughout her life, subtle hints drop in every piece. I will not be using her work in my outcomes but it has been interesting to look into he work and her as an artist.















No comments:

Post a Comment